Monday, January 4, 2010

Turning Thoughts into Actions

Today as I took a break from preparing for my interview to make lunch, my mom was taking a break from doing her Monday cleaning ritual and made the statement, "It's all over." I could feel her post holiday depression and really wished I could make her feel more excited about the new year ahead. I was left with this sudden feeling that said, "Wait I can!"

I immediately took the energy from that moment in the cold garage as she was waiting for the dogs to finish their business in the back yard and gave it my best shot. I said, "Mom it's not over, it's just the beginning to a wonderful year!" I could tell instantly that it made her think about it and she proclaimed, "You are right. There is a wonderful year in store for us."

Afterward, I was so glad I took a detour from my lunch to try and influence her current state of mind. While I was out there I noticed that my hard working mother could also probably use some help with her Monday schedule and offered to help her by completing one of her dreaded chores - picking up the dog poop in the yard. Now that really made her smile!

Looking back at the moment I decided to go into the garage, I'm left wondering about how many opportunities just like this one pass me up on a daily basis. The task was relatively simple compared to the impact it had... and I nearly didn't make it happen. I actually had a moment before I shared that time with her where I was looking at my hot and steamy southwest chicken panini, fresh out of the microwave, contemplating on whether to take the two minutes to talk with her or just go upstairs and devour my lunch. For that indecisive moment, it seemed like such a large hassle and I even found myself trying to justify that it wasn't really a big deal. But it was a big deal in disguise and I am glad I took advantage of the opportunity!

I think its funny that in life there are many things that we can do every day that are rather simple to complete but carry such an amazing amount of potential for impact. With every thought and action, there is the possibility of bringing positive energy and influence into the world. I am attempting to learn to harness my thoughts to transform them into actions that bring about benefit to myself and others. I expect to make listening to my heart second nature and reap the rewards of turning good natured thoughts into actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment