Saturday, January 16, 2010

Productive Unemployment

Even though there are many hardships with being unemployed, it has given me the chance to really concentrate on self improvement. I have been able to realign what is important and work to make those areas first and foremost in my life. With an ample amount of free time, I have been able to focus on opportunities to serve, participate in extracurricular activities and make time for reading/journaling.

My life just a short time ago seemed so out of control and unfocused leaving no time to engage in events that provided fulfillment. I am excited about getting more involved in positive activities throughout the year. By finding and participating in such events, I will be able to experience true joy benefiting mentally, physically and spiritually.

Serving has been a wonderful way for me to feel useful and keep my mind off of my current unemployed status. I try to volunteer my time and express my desire to help my community through opportunities at my church. I also help out the soup and serenity program weekly where I serve participants and ask them for prayer requests. These experiences have been very rewarding and I will continue to seek out these times of blessing.

I also enjoy playing in organized sports and it continues to be something I look forward to on a weekly basis. I am currently participating in a flag football league which I am very thankful to have found. It has been a wonderful gift to reconnect with good people that I have not had contact with for some time and has helped to begin building new friendships. Being involved athletically has also made me realize the importance of exercise and made me concentrate more on living a healthy lifestyle. I am looking into joining an adult baseball league and am very excited to get back to the diamond this Spring!

I have also been able to devote more attention to reading books and journaling. These activities have provided me with the chance to really focus my thoughts and concentrate on my goals. I have been able to practice working to continuously find things that advance my knowledge in the area of business and develop skills that will benefit my ability to succeed in the future.

However, I must also be aware of activities that can inhibit personal growth. One of my habits that I must work to limit is watching television. I quickly find myself addicted to certain shows once I start watching them making it hard to keep motivated toward completing other activities. I have felt much better about myself since I began practicing obedience over this habit and only allowing myself to get lost in my lazy boy recliner for designated periods of time. It has been tough sacrificing my ability to "Keep Up with the Kardashians" but I think I will survive (Sarcasm Intended).

I plan to start this week off by applying for several part time positions and hope I can find something that will ease the financial burden of unemployment while I look for a full-time position. I pray that I find a job that offers a positive environment that supports my values and objectives while enabling me to continue enjoying all the positive activities currently in my life and those which I plan to participate in throughout the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment