Monday, January 18, 2010

The Power of the Mind

The power of the mind is absolutely amazing. I have always believed in the concept of "mind over matter", but I can now see I failed to practice this belief after looking back at some of the struggles I have battled with over the past few years. As I move forward in life, I definitely want to identify how I can use this belief to my advantage.

I could see proof for this concept during my work out this morning. I was lifting weights noticing that I suddenly became more fatigued when I approached the final two reps of each set of ten. I decided that I would try to harness the energy of the mind by starting out with the goal of 15 reps instead of 10. I really wasn't too surprised when it was now rep 14 and 15 that I was struggling to lift... I was totally psyching myself out!

Looking back at some stages of my life, I could have easily cured times of depression and anxiety by simply changing my thinking. I was spending too much time feeling down and not really doing anything about it. I should have been starting each day by speaking words of encouragement toward myself and thinking about all the wonderful blessings in my life. This simple little action that only would have cost me about 5 minutes a day would have been enough to restore the positive attitude needed to break free from that negative lifestyle.

I can also see benefit from this belief when I am approaching situations that seem to be overwhelming in nature. No matter what the situation, I must remember that I have been given the ability to handle anything. Whether it takes extra energy or the willingness to ask someone for help, I am confident I will be able to conquer any challenge. However, I must make it a habit to remind myself of this fact in order to guarantee the right mind set... only through this type of deliberate action will I be able to fully utilize the power of the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment