Monday, January 11, 2010

Learning from Life

I started a book called "Become a Better You" today by Joel Osteen. I have high expectations for this book since the other two books I read by the same author brought upon a great deal of inspiration in my life. The title of the book stands for everything I am striving to do throughout this transitional period in my life - I will become a better me.

As I began reading the first chapter "Keep Pressing Forward", I thought about different exercises I could do to move more confidently into the future. When I combined this thought with my determination to reflect daily, I decided that I might be able to find value in exploring past memories filtering through both the good and bad to help shape future decisions.

I thought about all types of memories from all aspects of my life. The process brought about a range of emotions making me really have to concentrate on not letting myself relive the past but learn from it. I explored love, education, friendship, health and family... physically smiling at the happy moments and shaking my head toward the shameful. As I made an outline of each memory that came to mind, I felt relieved as if I had uncorked a wine bottle shaken up and ready to explode.

By reflecting on everything that made me who I am, I realized that the story of my life is far from over. In fact, it was clear that I have been on this 27 year journey in order to get me where I find myself today. I am prepared and on my way to becoming someone great... someone that wouldn't exist if those outlined memories never came to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment