Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Developing Positive Habits

Every person is capable of producing both positive and negative thoughts and will experience results in life that correspond with the type of thoughts they allow to filter into reality through their actions. By putting effort into living a life that promotes love, peace and kindness, a person has a much better chance at experiencing a happy and fulfilling lifestyle. On the contrary, living life angry, belligerent and impatient can make someone much more vulnerable to experiencing an unproductive and stressful lifestyle.

I was reading an article that was reporting on a study that ninety percent of a person's everyday behavior was habitual. As I put more thought into this idea, I could see that from the moment I open my eyes in the morning to the moment my head hits the pillow most of my day was all part of a routine. Connecting my desire to live a positive lifestyle with the habitual nature of being human, I could see the importance of correcting negative behaviors and establishing more positive habits in order to implement positive change in my life.

In order to get started, I needed to put some time and effort into identifying my daily habits. I looked at behaviors throughout my day and found that I was very habitual in areas dealing with my cleanliness, diet/exercise and entertainment. After making a concrete list, I was able to label each as positive or negative and then reflected on each so that I could decide whether I should eliminate, cut back, continue or increase the behavior in the future.

By looking for ways to improve my habits, I believe I have found a more efficient way to becoming a more productive and successful person... I just need to stay committed to practicing these new and improved behaviors and in time they too will become habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment