Thursday, January 7, 2010

Keep Shoveling with Pride

This morning I woke up about 5am and, anticipating the snow fall, I decided to walk to the window to see how much had accumulated. Once I saw that there was a good four inches, I put on the warmest clothes I could find and headed outside to shovel so that it would save my father some time before having to leave for work. As I was cleaning off the driveway, I was really thinking about how badly I want to find a job and the struggle it has been to find an employer that is willing to see through my past to trust me with an opportunity.

Later on in the day after several more inches of snow had covered the ground, I headed back outside to once again complete the same task I had finished only hours earlier. This time I was also left contemplating my relentless search to find a job. Specifically, I was thinking of how to arrange a cover letter I planned on writing to a company I was referred to by a long time friend. I was also fighting back negative thoughts that were trying to convince me not to put so much effort into the process since it will probably turn out just like all the previous times - leaving me with a feeling of rejection and still unemployed.

However once I finished shoveling for the second time of the day, I glanced over the wonderful work I had done and was proud to have completed such a quality job. It was at that moment that I connected my dedication to snow removal and my job search. There is no doubt that I will have to soon again shovel the walk at which time I will attack it with the same intensity as I did all the times before not thinking about how quickly God will once again cover the ground.

I will take that same exact attitude and determination toward finding my next job. No matter how many times I might get rejected, I will continue to seek the next opportunity and pour myself into the application process truly believing that this is the time - and looking back on it, I will be proud.

1 comment:

  1. Keep on shoveling Scott. I am praying that you will soon be employeed. Every rejection that you have received thus far was the biggest mistake that those companies have made. They focused on the wrong thing and missed out on an opportunity to hire an awesome worker. I would love to work with you. Feel free to put my name down as a reference. Just like your words from your post, keep on shoveling and God will provide.

    ReplyDelete