Saturday, January 30, 2010

Play Ball!

Growing up as a child, I sincerely loved playing sports and was drawn to the competitive nature involved with the daily games held throughout the subdivision. Some of my most happy memories involve playing baseball in the street and football between the houses. I was just like many other kids with hopes and dreams of becoming the next star professional athlete... I remember always picturing myself in the world series hitting that game winning home run in the bottom of the ninth. Still to this day if I shut my eyes and think hard enough, I can immediately recall that feeling of hope and anticipation for the future.

Now here I am 20 years later chasing new hopes and dreams with a completely different perspective on life and what my future has in store for me. Even though I am not Alex Rodriguez, I have been blessed with many gifts and am grateful for everything in my life. However, I feel like something is missing and constantly feel the urge to put more effort into living life passionately. As I continue on this journey of change, I truly want to listen to and follow my heart with expectations that it will help find the life I have always wanted.

After thinking about things that make me happy, I decided that my love for the game of baseball is something I can no longer deny. I have been praying about my desire for it to re-enter my life... and I am amazed at how God has started to answer those prayers.

This morning I met with a coach of an adult baseball team I found through the newspaper and worked out with his team. It turns out that the work out was more like a try-out and afterwards he asked if I would like to join the team! He then continued to tell me about the need for umpires and asked if I would be interested in attending a conference in two weeks that would allow me to become certified as an umpire. I also saw my nephew this afternoon and think that he may want to play tee ball giving me the opportunity to coach! So needless to say I am so excited to get back to the diamond and look forward to playing, coaching and even getting paid to umpire!

It is amazing how just this morning finding a way back into the game of baseball seemed somewhat out of reach and now, not even 12 hours later, several opportunities have entered my life. It just really goes to show the power of prayer and determination in life... and I am so glad that in another twenty years, I will be able to look back on even more baseball memories never having to regret not doing something I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment