Friday, January 29, 2010

Reactions

There are certain things in life that have the ability to move directly to the core of a human soul creating memories that get forever etched into the recollection of our existence. These moments can happen at anytime and often show up when they are least expected... but make such an impact on our lives that we become forever changed.

Throughout the course of my lifetime, there has been inspiring teachers, motivational coaches, touching movies, and unforgettable events. I wish I could say that everything has been positive, but unfortunately there has also been unavoidable tragedy, negative people, and horrific life experiences that casted devastating repercussions over my life. It is a combination of these experiences that truly shaped who I am today, but I truly believe I could have been able to decrease the impact of certain negative things that happened in my life by reacting differently.

I realize this may seem like I am dwelling on the past declaring could have...would have...should have's, but honestly I just want to stress the importance of putting emphasis on evaluating attitudes and actions while reacting to tough situations in life. In the past, I have been blinded from God's guidance during stressful times and eventually found myself learning 'the hard way' for many of my 'life lessons'. When I find myself getting caught up in the moment, I want to be able to recognize changes in my behavior and deal with it in a way that allows me to learn more efficiently.

I admit that there are many things that have happened in my life in which I had absolutely no control. However, I always possessed the ability to decide how to handle each and every situation. Moving forward into the future, I am committed to minimizing the drastic consequences that can result from allowing the seriousness of certain situations to cloud my judgment.

The great C.S. Lewis once said, "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn." Over the course of my lifetime, I have found this to be very true... but I also know that with the right reactions, I can change how I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment