Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Identity

Today I went with my niece and nephew to enjoy the energy packed movie, "Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel". I am not going to deny it... those chipmunks sure can put on a show! It was interesting to see the chipmunks try to seamlessly blend into the high school atmosphere... after all they are totally singing and dancing chipmunks. So all in all, I guess I am glad I was able to talk them into seeing it... I mean I could have had to go see "The Rock" in "The Tooth Fairy".

On a more serious note, the movie actually made me revisit the concept of identity. I have been thinking about the topic for a few weeks since it is something that I have worked to reshape during my journey of change and often find myself looking in the mirror asking the question, "What exactly is my true identity?" It is so easy to be confused living in such a wild world with so many outside influences... making it even easier to get surprised with an undesirable identity.

Using the chipmunks movie as an example, each actor (and chipmunk) perfectly accentuated all the outward characteristics that it takes to portray an accurate account of their roles. There were many stereotypical presentations of characters including the jock, the nerd, the overweight slob and even the wanna-be-hip adult figure and each could easily find themselves falling into general categories forgetting everything that makes them unique - their true identity. As the movie progressed, each character was not able to really shine until they were in touch with their identity and the corresponding personality/actions.

Identity is defined as the sense of self after providing sameness or continuity in personality over time. In order to shape my identity, it was important for me to understand that my identity is directly related to a self esteem generated through my thoughts and actions. My identity was directly fueled by the power of choice. Understanding all of this, I realized that I have always had the ability to possess a positive identity... I simply need to be a positive person each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment