Saturday, March 13, 2010

Variability Is the Enemy!

Looking back to September of 2004, I remember walking swiftly on a hot humid day through the Indiana University campus on my way to a lecture on process analysis. I arrived to class covered in sweat expecting this class to be just like all the rest. I couldn't have been more wrong...

Eagerly waiting for lecture to begin, I found myself skimming through the book for the course. I had always been interested in learning how to make business processes more efficient and thought that I had a gift for recognizing opportunities for improvement. However, the professor's first four words of the lecture diminished all my previous experience in the area. It would provide an understanding that I have found can not only be used in business, but can also be applied to many other aspects of life.

A shorter 350 pound man walked to the front of the lecture hall and shouted, "Variability is the enemy!" After scanning the crowd of about 300 students, he pushed up his wire framed glasses with a big awkward expression on his face. Once again he shouted, "Variability is the enemy!" This time he said it so emphatically that his swollen neck and body shook with each forceful word. "Variability is the enemy... don't ever forget it!"

It turns out that this principle provides the key to improving business processes. After learning to identify variability, a person gains the power to potentially transform anything that seems to be a great way of doing something into a more efficient and effective process. I say potentially since implementing ways to eliminate the variability is often just as important as recognizing it.

Even though it is meant for analyzing business processes, I have found that this same principle can be applied to our own lives to increase our quality of life. I have struggled with ups and downs that often would lead to extreme emotional swings. These swings seemed to always bring about prolonged feelings of anxiety and depression. In order to eliminate this negativity, I found that I needed to remove variability in my life.

My trust in God has provided the stability required to conquer variability in my life. I have learned to listen to God's guidance through following the Holy Spirit. This dedication has shown me that there is absolutely no middle ground when it comes to the choices put before me. Therefore, I can always find peace knowing that I am moving in the right direction. I never have to worry about my past or what my future holds. I can live in the moment and remain consistent behind a shield of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment