Saturday, March 27, 2010

Welcome the Overwhelming

This afternoon I was reading an article critiquing the current season of American Idol in Entertainment Weekly when I came across the word underwhelming. Even though I didn't agree with the writer's review, I found his word choice very interesting.

I believe the use of 'underwhelming' caught my attention since I more often contemplate the opposite end of the spectrum. I find that I am much more inclined to identify and refer to things that are overwhelming in nature. In fact, I do not recall ever complaining about or trying to improve a situation that was underwhelming. However, I now believe that there may be a great amount of potential benefit to focusing on such areas in life after reflecting on the idea.

It is entirely too easy to concentrate too much on the people, places and events in life that cause excessive amounts of stress. These overwhelming things in life can often take control of everyday thoughts and actions stealing valuable energy from completing more productive activities. I am suggesting that this wasted energy can be reclaimed simply by shifting attention away from the overwhelming and placing it toward improving the underwhelming.

For example, I have been bombarded throughout the week with unfamiliar policies, procedures and information at my new job. It would have been very easy for me to get discouraged by submitting to it's overwhelming nature. However, I have welcomed the challenge as an opportunity to learn and grow professionally. Essentially, I have replaced an underwhelming unemployed situation with a more overwhelming employed situation... and I love it!

So the next time we feel overwhelmed, what will we do? Will we let it stress us out and take control? Or will we welcome it as a chance to become a stronger person and fill an otherwise underwhelming gap? The choice is ours...

No comments:

Post a Comment