Thursday, March 25, 2010

Beyond First Impressions

The week before I started my first day at work, I decided to go get a haircut. However, my normal stylist was on vacation and would not be back until later in the week. Instead of waiting for her to get back, I scheduled an appointment with another stylist at a completely different place. After requesting a number 1 guard for blending my hair, I immediately noticed it was much shorter than the guard my other stylist uses to cut my hair. I looked like I just started boot camp!

It took a while to get used to the new style, but after a few days I adapted and began to really enjoy having short hair. However, I didn't think about how the haircut might affect other people's perception of me. It wasn't until a co-worker approached me today to ask if I was an army man. Of course I laughed it off, especially when he went on to tell me how him and a few others were expecting me to be a stern drill sergeant.

They quickly found out that I am quite the opposite. I could tell through certain conversations and mannerisms during those interactions that a few associates were expecting me to be completely different. I believe they were pleasantly surprised to discover that I am relatively easy going and wasn't about to start shouting commands.

I have been meeting many new people over the past several days. With every shake of the hand, I am unconsciously putting forth an image that will create a valuable first impression. Some of the encounters will serve as the starting point for a working relationship that could very well determine future team success. On my drive home this evening, I began to reflect on this realization and asked myself the question, "Is there anything I can consciously do to help create a more positive first impression?"

After thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that I need to be exactly who I am, no more or less. I should concentrate on being kind and strive to always put forth a professional image. Following these guidelines, I am confident that I will be able to establish productive working relationships while staying true to my values. This way I can be sure that it will be my actions and behaviors over time that accurately shape other's perceptions of me... and not simply a haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment