Friday, March 19, 2010

Little Extra

Today I decided to wash my clothes. I usually do the laundry about every two weeks, but it is a task that I put off as long as I can. When I take on the chore, I use an entire afternoon to wash all dirty whites, colors and dress attire. I'm not going to lie... I just do not enjoy it.

I am not quite sure why I dislike washing my clothes. I think it may be because of the tedious nature involved in separating, loading, unloading, folding and putting away the clothes. Also, I always have doubts in the back of my mind and feel as if I am always doing something wrong. Did I use the right detergent? Are the settings correct? Did I separate everything correctly? It makes me stress...

However, I recognize the importance of the laundry process. I sincerely believe that looking sharp begins with properly washing, folding and hanging my clothes, especially when it comes to my dress shirts and pants. I have found out that a little extra effort often goes a long way when it comes to washing these items. I take extra care to make sure any stains have been individually sprayed and load each article one at a time. After carefully drying them, I take my time to neatly hang them. If needed, I smooth out any wrinkles and place them in my closet.

When it comes time to choose a shirt, I am always glad I put the extra effort into the cleaning process. I enjoy looking good, and a clean crisp shirt can really have a positive influence on my day. Every once in a while, I will notice that I hastily put a shirt away and immediately get disappointed by the wrinkles or the odd shape to the collar. It is those times that serve as a reminder to take my time and use a little extra TLC with my dress clothes.

As I was putting away my clothes this afternoon, I could not help but to think about how I can apply the same concept to practically every area in my life. I often find myself rushing through activities for no apparent reason except to be finished with the task. I should never be too busy to put a little extra effort into whatever it is that I am doing. Whether it be a tedious chore or a relationship, I am going to make it a priority to always give a little extra. Using this mind set, the closet of life might just reward me with the same blessed feeling of putting on a crisp clean shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment