Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shadow of Confusion

The message at church this morning started a 3 part series called "In the Shadows". Upon reading this title, I started to think about all the things that the title brings to mind. I must admit that the term carries quite an ominous nature for me. I immediately began to imagine a dark figure lurking on a shady corner. Nonetheless, I am very interested to see where this series will go.

The message today began the series by discussing the topic "Shadow of Confusion". I found this discussion to be very relevant to my own spiritual journey. Over the course of my life, I have survived many challenging times. Even though I have always been blessed, I did not always recognize the source of that blessing. My attitude toward Jesus has seemed to change with the many seasons of my life. However, this message made it very clear that Jesus has never changed. It is actually the "Shadow of Confusion" that can make it seem that way.

Confusion can be caused by many factors, but I mainly recognize it in my life when I can not identify a purpose for why something happened. I desperately want everything to make sense and when it doesn't I react in strange ways. I find that I look for someone or something to blame. I might get angry and frustrated especially when I do not have the power to correct something. It is a very powerful emotion. It can be so powerful that it often leads to significant consequences that can drastically change the outcome of events if handled incorrectly.

I think that confusion gains power through our own inability to deal with something we do not understand. When I find myself in such a situation, my mind begins to race with exaggerated thoughts. It is very easy to begin assuming worst case scenarios leading to a feeling of panic. Once I enter this state of mind, I can no longer effectively make good decisions often resulting in undesirable outcomes that could have been prevented.

We must overcome feelings of confusion with a solid relationship with Jesus. A strong faith and extreme trust can help us deal with any situation that may arise in life. Also, it may help to turn to God's word to provide understanding. We can also use time in prayer to ask for peace of mind. However, it is extremely important to react before the "Shadow of Confusion" brings darkness to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment