Monday, March 1, 2010

3 F's

Bear Grylls is the host of a reality show called Man vs. Wild airing on the Discovery Channel. I absolutely love watching his adventures as he voluntarily takes on the toughest environments Mother Nature has to offer with nothing except a few key survival items. As a former member of the British Special Forces, Bear has an amazing drive to conquer all the harsh situations he encounters during his battles with nature. He does a wonderful job providing helpful tips and demonstrations that teach viewers different ways to stay alive regardless of the circumstance.

I used to spend time imagining myself escaping to some far-off land alone with nothing except the clothes on my back. It may seem ridiculous to desire something so extreme, but at the time it helped me forget about all the trouble and hardship I had brought upon myself through years of self destructive behavior. I knew deep down inside that I was a strong person meant for much greater accomplishments and figured that I would be better off trying to survive in a natural environment away from society rather than face the strongholds in my life.

Obviously, my past tendency to think about attempting to survive on my own out in the wilderness naturally attracts me to watching Bear succeed at his adventures. During a recent episode, Bear was speaking of his experiences living through his toughest situations by himself while being challenged by some of the most dangerous conditions known to man. He stressed the importance of adequate food and shelter, but placed an even higher amount of importance in keeping your hope and spirits high in order to survive. Bear said he always keeps the 3 F's close to his heart in order to find the strength to come out of each situation alive.

I am so grateful to say that I never followed through on my desire to escape my life's problems by running away to some secluded forest in the mountains. I can now see that would have been crazy considering I have absolutely no experience surviving on my own in the wilderness. Furthermore, I would have never gained the strength and wisdom that God has blessed me with over the last couple years through overcoming the adversity in my life. However, it seems that by fighting through the toughest situations in my own life I have found the same 3 F's Bear Grylls mentioned to also be number one to my survival - Faith, Family and Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment