Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Friends with a Stranger

What would you say if you were asked to provide encouragement to a complete stranger? What would you include in the message? What would you leave out? How would that conversation change if you knew they were coming from a similar background? How personal would you be? Would you have any doubts that you were the right person to reach out to the person?

Today I sat down to write a letter to someone I have never even met who lives on the other side of the country. I do not know anything about the person except that he is struggling with his current circumstances. His mother attends the Soup & Serenity program that I volunteer with on Thursdays. Last week she asked me to send him some words of encouragement with hope that I may be able to help him see the world in a more positive light. I welcomed the opportunity and looked forward to a chance to share my blessed outlook on life.

As I sat down to write the letter, I found myself asking myself the questions above and spent a good amount of time deciding on the content. I began the letter stating an understanding of our stranger status, but then I shifted the attention to my belief that everything happens for a reason. I wanted him to know that the letter was the possible beginning to a friendship and that I viewed it as an opportunity for both of us to reflect on our lives to provide encouragement to each other.

Next, I continued with a summary of my life story. I decided that I should be as sincere as possible with hopes that he might be able to connect with my journey thus far in life. I placed a strong emphasis on how my developing relationship with God has transformed my life. I explained that recognizing Jesus as my Savior and committing to follow the example he left through his life and death on the cross changed my direction and perspective in life. Even though he may not be a believer, I pray he will receive the message with an open heart and allow God to fill him with the Holy Spirit.

After sharing my perspective on living with a positive outlook, I concluded with words of encouragement. I reassured him that he could accomplish anything he desires as long as he gives his all toward achieving his goals. I also asked him to believe with all his heart that God has something wonderful planned for his life and to trust his guidance. I ended by mentioning that there are people out there waiting to help that really care and that the more he looks, the more he will find... and sometimes they will even find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment