Saturday, March 6, 2010

Experienced Flooring

This afternoon I helped a friend remove carpet from her house in order to prep the area for a new hardwood floor. I was glad I could help her out using some of the experience that I gained last year helping my former boss rehab one of his rental properties. After moving furniture and ripping out the old carpet, we uncovered the original tile that was most likely put down when the house was built. The process went rather smoothly, and a new fresh feeling seemed to fill the air after the dusty old carpet was tossed out the window.

In the mean time, the original tile remains uncovered complete with paint stains and chipped corners. It may not be clean and shiny, but it will serve its purpose as the current floor's surface. The old tile displays the rich history of the house and will continue to carry that history forward as it serves as the foundation for the new hardwood that will be used to cover it.

As I reflected on today's task, I found myself incorporating the story of the old dirty tile into my own life. My dedication toward change has often lead me to strip myself of old dusty habits leaving my true inner self completely exposed. I went on to further recognize that my past experiences represent the same stained and chipped history of the old dirty tile. I must never forget about those experiences as I continue on my journey of change. Just as the old dirty tile, my experiences will always serve as the foundation for the 'new shiny hardwood floors' of my future.

Today's reflection has also reminded me that I have participated in a good number of "blue collar" jobs since leaving my office work over two years ago. I have never had a full-time job of this type, but I have come to enjoy the intermittent work. I discovered that there is a certain satisfaction that accompanies manual labor. After completing a task, the hard work is rewarded with a feeling of accomplishment. I have found that I experience a feeling of joy upon looking back at a completed job, especially when I know I gave it my best effort.

As I continue seeking employment, I trust that God will lead me down the path that best supports his plan for my life. Whether I end up working outside or in an office, I believe that I will find happiness through my occupation. However, I have come to realize that the specific occupation will not supply the happiness. It will be up to me to make the most out of the opportunity God puts before me by always living with joy in my heart. Through my attitude and actions, I need to make the decision to follow God's guidance and receive the happiness he will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment