Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Smile He Loves Us!

I was pleased to see the sun shining when I opened my eyes this morning. I sat in bed a few minutes before I actually decided to get up. During that time, I noticed that my mind was once again racing. I was thinking about work, bills and tasks that need to get done. After realizing that I was stressing out, I prayed for relief and stood up with an understanding that everything will work out. I walked out of my room with a grateful heart and a big smile on my face.

I decided I would spend my morning doing things that would take my mind off of everything. I completely let go of all thoughts that had to do with future events and committed myself to living directly in the moment. I began by washing the wheels on my car. One by one, I gently scrubbed the alloy with some soapy water and watched the grease and grime disappear. After completing the surprisingly relaxing task, it felt great to stand back and look at them sparkling in the sunshine.

Next, I grabbed my headphones, my running shoes and a baseball bat excited to get some exercise. I began a daily routine that I absolutely love to do. I stretch and warm up while holding the bat before starting a series of about 100 swings. During this exercise, I often envision myself facing a real pitcher and hitting home run after home run spread out all over the field. I even sometimes throw in some commentary... like I am in my own home run derby. I definitely have fun with it.

After completing my swings, I usually go for about a mile run. I do not look forward to this part of the routine, but I always feel wonderful after it is over. During the fast jog, I found myself looking up to the sky and praising God for everything he has blessed me with over the past few months. At about the halfway mark, I hit the point where my body tells me to stop running.

I often struggle to keep going, but I also know that it is at that point where I obtain the greatest benefit. As I contemplated walking for a minute, Train's "Calling All Angels" began to play on my headphones. The first line of the song is "I need a sign, To let me know your here". As I was searching for the strength to continue, the lyrics echoed in my head as I looked up for encouragement. Suddenly, I noticed something a few strides ahead and was amazed that it was a green and white frisbee with a giant smiley face on it reading "Smile God Loves You".

Needless to say, I completed the rest of the run at an amazing pace. In fact, I finished that mile feeling like I should run a few more. I was once again in awe of God's presence in my life. The stress and anxiety that I have been feeling suddenly seemed foolish. I almost feel embarrassed that I needed to nearly trip over a frisbee to remind me about God's love for me, but it is an image that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The next time I feel stressed or discouraged, I will definitely think back to the image of this green and white reminder and smile with reassurance that no matter the circumstance, God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment