Sunday, April 25, 2010

More Than Words

I absolutely love the "txt: How to Read Your Bible" message series that the leadership at Suncrest is guiding the church through currently. Today was part 3 titled "The Model" covering Philippians 2:1-11. Andy Kaiser led the service breaking down Paul's letter to the Romans into actionable hope-filled words. I am continually amazed at how the Bible can come alive and mirror events in life inspiring actions that go far beyond our own ability.

In my ever evolving list of topics, I have been working on an idea that requires me to document specific instances that show others that they are more important than I. I have been searching for opportunities and will continue to do so over the next few weeks. I have found that this selfless behavior has actually given me more reward than the instant gratification that indulging in selfish desires could ever produce. It has also proven to provide a lasting joy that consistently lifts up my day and creates a renewed spirit ready to overcome any challenge that stands in the way of living at my best.

Philippians 2:3-4 reads, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

Digesting this verse today, I felt the words become more than a passage from the Bible. It shouted truth into my life and solidified God's direction in my heart. I was able to relate directly to someone who felt the same generous outpouring of hope and love in his life over two thousand years ago that I have been blessed with in 2010. It was a very powerful experience.

Reading the Bible has become a valued part of my day and helped my relationship with God reach a much more intimate level. The more I look to him for strength and guidance, the more he delivers combining the spirit living inside me with the truth of his word. It is through this amazing transformation that the words come alive and take form as fuel for living in the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment