Friday, April 9, 2010

Avoiding Sticky Situations

I have a large candy jar sitting on my desk. I definitely have an intense sweet tooth and love making fun exciting mixes of my favorites. I recently decided to cut up a bag of sour filled twizzlers and add it to the medley of hard candy already occupying the jar. After about a day, the moisture of the twizzlers had spread throughout the container causing all the other candy to stick together. I was left with one large clump of colorful sticky candy...

As I was carefully picking at the clump piece by piece, I noticed myself reflecting on how the addition of the twizzlers affected the entire jar. Even though the amount of twizzlers was small compared to the candy, the moisture carried through to every single piece changing the contents forever. I also realized that there was nothing I could have done to prevent it except keep them separate. No matter how hard I tried, I could not keep the candy from taking on the moisture once both were in the same environment.

With this understanding, I began to relate my candy debacle to life. Over my journey of change, I have noticed that the type of people in my life has changed dramatically. I have been blessed with many new friends that bring a fresh welcomed feeling of happiness into every interaction. It is so wonderful to have people in my life that I can trust and turn to for solid advice and support. Their positive energy helps me stay focused on living at the best of my ability and encourages the joy filled life I was meant to live.

Just as the moisture of the twizzlers spread to all the other pieces of candy, the attitudes, values and beliefs of the people in our lives will influence our own thoughts, actions and experiences. In order to avoid becoming 'sticky', we must separate ourselves from the negative 'moisture' of certain people and environments. It is up to us to surround ourselves with friends, family and situations that are relentlessly positive to support a lifestyle full of love, hope and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment