Tuesday, April 20, 2010

An Hour Adventure

This morning I had about an hour to spend before starting work after completing a prior obligation. I stopped at Taco Bell to grab a quick lunch and visited Best Buy to look for an mp3 auxiliary cable for my car. During this hour that started out as a way to kill some time, I had some very interesting experiences with some very positive side effects.

First of all, I want to confess that I am a fan of some good Taco Bell. However, I am very particular about my Taco Bell experience. I have learned through past experiences that the quality of food at Taco Bell varies greatly from location to location. In order to judge the quality, I always check the cleanliness of the bathroom before ordering from an unfamiliar restaurant. I have found this method to be an awesome indicator of the food quality and service.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a sparkling clean restroom upon walking into the facilities at this Taco Bell. After my quality inspection, I approached the counter only to be greeted with a smile and an emphatic greeting. I placed my order and within one minute I was handed my food by an energetic young woman who offered a sincere "Thanks for Choosing Taco Bell. Enjoy!"

I was so happy with my meal and overall Taco Bell experience. It tasted great... the service was excellent... the restaurant was clean. I literally thought to myself, "Wow these people are doing an absolutely wonderful job!" Upon leaving this blessed establishment, I walked to the front counter and asked to speak to the manager. As she reluctantly approached, I smiled at her and said, "I just wanted to thank you for lunch. You all are doing a wonderful job!"

When I walked up to the counter, I almost went to the left to continue right out the door. I am so glad that I stopped to take 15 seconds to extend my feelings of gratitude. I literally felt a rush of energy radiating from our short and to the point conversation. She was happy I was pleased... I was happy to tell her I was pleased... it was a win-win situation that we shared together.

After my amazing lunch, I headed over to Best Buy. This was my first trip into a similar work environment since starting my job in retail management. I was surprised by how I now viewed the entire shopping experience differently. I was comparing their store to mine... taking hints from the good and making mental notes of the bad. I appreciated the prompt and friendly customer service giving me a first hand account of what customers want from their shopping experience.

After finding the auxiliary cable and walking the store, I proceeded to check out. I found myself behind a couple who just bought a computer monitor. The clerk was explaining insurance options, and I could sense he was trying to hurry. As he gave me a glance, I could tell he was sorry for the extended wait and expected me to show frustration. However, I was contently patient and offered a few words encouraging him to take his time. After waiting about four minutes, he checked me out and thanked me for waiting. He then shocked me with the same salutation I like to use, "Have a blessed day!"

When I began to wait, I almost gave in to a go-go-go mentality. I felt the urge to give out a look of discontent, but I am so grateful that I recognized it as a chance to practice patience. In return, I was rewarded with a connection with the clerk. He didn't just give me an ordinary "Have a nice day!" He gave me a sincere "Have a blessed day!" and I did! Praise the Lord!!!

After my hour adventure, I had a wonderful day at work. I felt great all afternoon and believe it showed in everything I did. Even though I had a very long day that started early this morning, the joy in my heart made it a long day full of happiness. I attribute all this to God and thank him for the guidance he provided. Without the direction of the Holy Spirit, I might have let hard work go un-celebrated or even surrendered much needed happiness to impatient behavior. Both of which would have been a crime, stealing directly from the joy God had planned for my afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment