Friday, April 30, 2010

Greatest Commandment

It is so easy to get misdirected in this life. Our actions and decisions often influenced by internal desires resulting in behavior that reflects a selfish greed to seek only what seems to be best for us at the current moment. How can we live so that we can avoid falling victim to this wicked temptation?

I have found that the answer clearly resides in Mark 12:29-31 where Jesus provides his response to the following question - "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

The world around us brings one situation after another that requires more from our choices than this painful lust for self gratitude. We can choose to see that we have an ability to overcome this reckless urge, or we can remain lost in a life that offers nothing more than temporary satisfaction. The choice is ours...

I am often tempted, but when I begin to feel lost in my ways I turn to the words of Jesus. I center myself around his life and give all my love to God. I hold nothing back. I ask for help. I accept guidance. I act on his will. I open myself up to the possibility that I could do something more, and I often find that I have more love to give outside of my own desires.

With each circumstance and every interaction, there is a right way and a wrong way. We may not always find ourselves on the correct path, but we can rely on God to change our course by loving externally with everything we do. We can escape the downfall of acting in self interest and discover the reward behind the greatest commandment - indescribable joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment