Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Picture Perfect


I was captivated by a picture in the newspaper the day after the Super Bowl. The picture showed MVP quarterback Drew Brees holding up his son Baylen high above his head during the celebration after his team, the New Orleans Saints, defeated the Indianapolis Colts. In a cloud of confetti, Baylen wearing noise reduction earmuffs is seen absorbing the action in front of a huge sign that reads 'Champions'. It captured a moment in time that carries a message that absolutely transcends the game of football...

Upon seeing this unforgettable image, I immediately felt the power that drives the gift of life. The picture represents the true motivation of the human spirit and succeeds at drawing an emotional response that brings a perspective to light that is too often overlooked. Through all the hard work and dedication, what are we actually living for each and every day?

I used the inspiration to reflect on my own life and took the time to identify what is really important to me. I was able to gain an understanding about myself that will accompany me going forward as I continue on my way conquering challenges and celebrating victories. By knowing what is first and foremost in my life, I have the ability to make better decisions and more efficiently chase after my dreams.

During the time I spent reflecting, I also found myself comparing the scenario in the picture to my relationship with God. By putting myself in Baylen's tiny little shoes, I could imagine that Drew Brees would represent the Almighty Father who holds me up constantly to take in all that this life has to offer while providing me with 'earmuffs' to provide protection from all the 'noise' that will bombard me on my journey.

Through this abstract thinking, I also came to the realization that just like Baylen experienced, there have been times where I was unable to comprehend just how amazing a moment really was until later in life... and at those times God was always there holding me up, protecting and celebrating with me in the midst of all the confetti.

1 comment:

  1. It's so amazing how you can cruise through life without really thinking about why you're doing anything. I know that I'm just coming out of a 3 or 4 year period where I felt like the majority of days that was the case for me. I've discovered that focusing on my priorities (following Christ, serving in what ways I can, putting my life toward the stuff that really counts) is absolutely critical for me if I'm ever going to live a life of significance.

    I love reading these posts, Scott. Very well said, and glad to get a glimpse inside of your own personal journey.

    ReplyDelete