Friday, February 5, 2010

Escape in the Moment

As I returned home from running a few morning errands, I started in on a common routine of kicking off my shoes replacing them with my extra cool poker themed slippers. Next, I hung up the keys to the car and placed my leather jacket on a hanger in the closet... I then reached down to greet the amazingly energetic dogs and walked to the bathroom sink to wash my hands. It was during this simple, often overlooked occurrence that I found myself overflowing with sensory perceptions that produced a much needed moment of relaxation.

As the unique light from the energy saving light bulbs reflected off the highly decorated fixtures, I invited the warm water to run across my weather worn hands gently covering each individual finger tip. After adjusting the faucet to release a slightly less hot stream, I gave the distinctly orange dispenser a double tap to begin a rather ritualistic lathering only to suddenly find myself absolutely enjoying a blast of aroma that somehow carried the likeness of freshly cut flowers. I proceeded to rinse off my now sanitized hands allowing the steam from the sink to fill my lungs, one deep breath after another. I then swiftly grabbed the hanging hand towel, turned each knob to stop the flow of water and glanced at a joyful image of myself in the mirror.

I know it might seem sort of ridiculous to experience pleasure from washing my hands, but there was a true sense of joy created simply by taking the time to really appreciate the task at hand. I was able to escape the menacing thoughts that seem to captivate my mind... I was not worried about any past activity or feeling any anxiety about some future event. I was able to focus all my attention on something that was happening in the now and I loved it!

There are so many opportunities throughout the day that offer a chance to get lost in the present... simple everyday actions such as walking the stairs, brushing your teeth or cooking dinner. They all offer a chance to shift our thinking away from stressful thoughts and take a break from the busy hectic lifestyle that at times seems unavoidable. Whether it be for a few seconds or couple hours, we can emerge from a peaceful internal escape more refreshed and energized - ready to take on whatever the next moment may have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment